Personal Injury Lawyer
Columbus, Ohio

Insurance Company Hassles

Let Mike Christensen Deal with the Adjuster So You Can Deal with Getting Better

The car accident wasn't your fault, but the insurance company might argue otherwise. In some cases, the insurance company might agree your rear-end accident was the fault of the driver who crashed into you in Northwest Columbus. Or they might concede that the person who T-boned you at an intersection in Downtown Columbus was drunk. But then they come back to you with an unreasonably low settlement offer. You might be facing steep medical bills. You might not be able to go back to work anytime soon. You might be seriously worried about your future.

Should I get a lawyer to deal with insurance companies after a car accident?

Yes. Michael D. Christensen Law Offices has been fighting insurance companies for more than a decade. We know that having insurance is one thing. Getting insurance companies to pay is another.

The state of Ohio requires all auto insurance policy holders to carry minimum amounts of liability coverage:

  • per-person bodily injury: $25,000
  • per-accident bodily injury: $50,000
  • property damage: $25,000

But each crash is different. Insurance companies may dispute the amount you are seeking, or think that you were responsible for the accident.

Getting injured in a car accident can be very disruptive to your life. Doctor's appointments, physical therapy, lost wages if you can't work. It's a lot to handle on top of your other daily responsibilities. And dealing with insurance companies can be frustrating, aggravating and exhausting.

Our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys know how to deal with insurance companies. We know about the games they play with lowball offers and stalling tactics. And we won't put up with it. We will fight aggressively until you receive full and fair compensation for your injuries. We think your focus should be on making a full recovery.

Contact us for a free evaluation of your case.

What should I know about dealing with another party's insurance company?

Here are some general tips when dealing with the insurance company of the party that caused your accident:

Cooperate with the adjuster for the other insurance company, but don't volunteer any information. For example, don't discuss what kind of further treatment you might need for your injuries until your doctor has given you a treatment plan.

You may be asked to give a recorded statement. It's a good idea to get legal advice first. After consulting with a lawyer, give brief and direct answers to the questions you are asked. Don't provide any extra details.

The adjuster for the insurance company may make you a quick settlement offer to cover your claim. We advise that you do not settle quickly. Your injury may require further treatment, or you may develop complications. One of our lawyers can advise you on how to determine a fair amount of compensation.

What if I was in an accident with an uninsured driver?

In Ohio, you can buy uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM coverage) as part of your policy. It is not required, but it is a very good idea to get it. If you are hit by an uninsured driver, your insurance company would pay your claim. If you are hit by an underinsured driver, your insurance would pay the amount of your claim that exceeds the other driver's liability limits.

If you are hit by a driver who is uninsured, and you don't have UM/UIM coverage, your insurance company will not pay for medical bills, property loss, lost wages or other types of expenses. If the driver was underinsured, the other insurance company would pay no more than the liability limit. You could try to take the other party to court in an attempt to get payment-but the person may not have much money.

Even if you have UIM coverage, it is still a good idea to have legal representation. Your insurance company may contest the amount you are seeking or try to assign blame for the accident to you.

Available 24/7. Your consultation is free. You pay no legal fee unless you win!